How to query two forwarders, even if the first one gave a negative answer?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jan 22 19:28:52 UTC 2003

H. Faber <hf at ake-software.de> wrote:

> Hi,

> my server is connected to the internet as well as to a company network.
> The company network provides its own dns server that resolves local
> names to their local ip addresses. My server is running bind9-9.1.3-252.
> I put the companies dns server and the one from my ISP into the
> forwarders option of the named.conf. Unfortunately bind does not query
> the companies dns server after getting  a negative answer from the ISPs
> dns server.

> Do I have to set up a separate zone for the companies network? Or is
> there an option to tell bind to query all the servers available in the
> forwarders variable?

> H. Faber

DNS is not desiged that way. If and answer is received it is considered accurate.

You better read up on "split-dns" scenarios including the possible usage
of "views". In addition you should upgrade to bind-9.2.1

An excerpt from "The Book" is available at
"http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/chapter/ch11.html"
it might containg usable stuff.

Get the book, it's worth it !

--