Some sort of attack?

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Thu Jan 23 00:34:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Mark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perusing my logs, my query-log (BIND 8.3.4, FreeBSD 4.7R) is suddenly filled
> with odd queries for "extra". Like so:
>
> .... XX /207.217.120.20/extra.asarian-host.net/MX/IN
>
> No "extra" exists, btw. It seems some form of attack. Many of these queries
> also come from legitimate name servers (from earthlink.net), so I cannot
> just block them all.

Put an answer for that query on your name server, and the queries will
slow down at least. Chances are someone sent out a spam with that as the
hostname, and mail servers all over the world are banging away looking for
who to send the bounces too.

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?