Views and zone delegation

Rusty Draper rusty.draper at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 28 09:16:16 UTC 2003

Hello,

I recently had a tough time trying to re-configure a name server that provides forwarding for an internal domain, to use views.

I wrapped up my internal zones and created acl's for the internal IP space and then wrapped up the external zone for public consumption, with match-clients set to "any";.

The symptom was with the views enabled, all queries were deferred to my parent.  The parent delegates authority to the above mention server for the sub-domain it's trying to serve.

With the "view" and "match-clients" statements commented out, the server worked, but internal IP space was visible externally, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I was successful in setting this type of bind configuration on a new domain.  The scenario described here is already established.

~R

//
// ACL's are used to restrict recursive access to the name
// servers.  Our desire is to restrict recursive queries to
// our internal systems only.

//
// Internal GEO-1 resolvers
//

acl "geo-1-prod-internal" {
        // 10.135.16.0/24;
        10.135.16.88;
};

//
// External GEO-1 external IP space
//

acl "geo-1-prod-external" {
        XX.XX.XX.128/26;
};

//
// External GEO-1 staging IP space
//

acl "geo-1-staging-external" {
        YY.YY.YY.0/27;
};

//
// Future External Corporate IP space
//

acl "geo-1-corporate-external" {
        ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.32/27;
};

options {
                  directory  "/some-zone/prod/named";
                  pid-file   "/var/named/named.pid";
        //
        // Listen only on our own interfaces
        //
        listen-on {
                127.0.0.1;
                10.135.16.88;
                // 10.135.16.17;
                YY.YY.YY.6;
        };

        allow-recursion {
                "geo-1-prod-internal";
                "geo-1-staging-external";
                10.135.16.18;
        };
};

logging {
        //
        // Add some custom channels.
        //
        channel geo-1_syslog {
                syslog daemon;
                //
                // Debug messages will not be sent to syslog, so
                // there is no point to setting the severity to
                // debug or dynamic, use the lowest syslog level:  info.
                //
                severity info;
        };
        channel geo-1_logfile {
                //
                // This can be adjusted depending on what level
                // of logging is desired.  Right now we need
                // to see plenty as we are logging attempts
                // to update our DNS
                //
                file "/var/named/named.log" versions 30;
                severity dynamic;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time     yes;
        };
        channel geo-1_debug {
        //
        // Debugging channel
        //
                file "/var/named/named.debug" versions 30;
                severity debug 3;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time     yes;
        };

        //
        // Set up categories to use the channels created above
        //
        category security {
                geo-1_syslog;
                geo-1_logfile;
                // geo-1_debug;
        };
        //
        // Turning off query logging.  Interested
        // in security and zone transfers
        //
        category queries {
                geo-1_logfile;
                // geo-1_debug;
        };

        category notify {
                geo-1_logfile;
        };
        category xfer-out {
                geo-1_logfile;
        };
        category default {
                geo-1_syslog;
                geo-1_logfile;
        };
        category lame-servers {
                geo-1_logfile;
        };
};

//
// External View
//

// view "public-view" {
//
// Match clients
//
        // recursion no;
        // match-clients {
         //     any;
        // };

        zone "." in {
                type hint;
                file "root/named.root";
        };

        zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
                type master;
                file "master/reverse/db.127";
         };

        zone "barbaz.net" in {
                type master;
                file "master/forward/barbaz.net";
                allow-transfer {
                        YY.YY.YY.3;
                        XX.XX.XX.141;
                };
        };

// };

//
// Implementing internal view for GEO-1
// All internal subnets and zones are represented here.
// The match-clients statement locks down usage to the PCS VLAN
// (Admin channel)
//
// red - 2003/01/21

//
// geo-1-internal for all private non-routable 10. IP space
//

// view "private-view" {
//
////
//// Match clients to our PCS VLAN.
////
//      match-clients {
//              geo-1-prod-internal;
//              // 10.135.16.17;
//              // 10.135.16.18;
//              // 10.135.16.88;
//      };

//      allow-recursion {
//              geo-1-prod-internal;
//      };

//      zone "." in {
//              type hint;
//              file "root/named.root";
//      };

//      zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
//              type master;
//              file "master/reverse/db.127";
//      };
//
////
//// List out our zones.  Since we are keeping just private IP space
//// here and we are not making the 'geo-1.prod.some-zone.com' zone visible
//// externally, no need to keep separate zone files as in NRTJP.
////
////
//
//      zone "geo-1.prod.some-zone.com" in {
//              type master;
//              file "master/forward/geo-1.prod.some-zone.com";
//      };

//
//// Test zone to figure out what's wrong
////
//

//      zone "test.prod.some-zone.com" in {
//              type master;
//              file "master/forward/test.prod.some-zone.com";
//      };

//
////
//// PCS VLAN (Admin Channel)
////
//
//      zone "16.135.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
//              type master;
//              file "master/reverse/db.16.135.10";
//      };
//
////
//// HACMP/AIX Clustering VLAN
////
//
//      zone "52.135.11.in-addr.arpa" in {
//              type master;
//              file "master/reverse/db.52.135.11";
//      };
//
////
//// ?? VLAN
////
//
//      zone "52.135.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
//              type master;
//              file "master/reverse/db.52.135.10";
//};