Strange problem when updating zone files

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jan 28 20:16:48 UTC 2003

Rasmus Haslund <spam at warchalking.dk> wrote:
> Hi!

> Problem:

> I change something in zone file for ANY domain on my primary dns server
> (which handles the same domains as my secondary dns server).

> Primary ns: ns.ipv6shells.com
> Secondary: backup-dns.dk

> Example:
> I add A record localhost.ipv6shells.com to zone file and update serial.
> Restart primary NS server. Nothing happens on backup-dns.dk (!!)... However
> I get the following in the primary dns log:

> Jan 23 23:09:20 linux named[7045]: lame server resolving 'backup-dns.dk' (in
> 'backup-dns.dk'?): 80.199.16.132#53

> Nothing happens at the secondary ns - it doesnt recieve the new updated zone
> file.

> Now if I restart the secondary dns server (not making ANY changes on either
> the primary and/or the secondary) I get the following:

> Primary dns log:
> Jan 23 23:13:00 linux named[7045]: client 80.199.16.132#28196: transfer of
> 'ipv6shells.com/IN': AXFR-style IXFR started

> Secondary dns log:
> Jan 23 23:12:37 firewall named[18872]: transfer of 'ipv6shells.com/IN' from
> 80.62.64.130#53: end of transfer

> The primary ns has its own dedicated wan ip and port 53 fully open both
> tcp/udp.
> The secondary ns is behind NAT but has had both port 53 tcp AND udp natted
> in to it.

> Primary ns version: bind-9.2.1-9
> Secondary ns version: bind-9.2.1-1.7x.2

> What is going on? :-(

> Best Regards
> -Rasmus Haslund

Your nameserver has wrong NS records, the zone is delegated to
ipv6shells.com.         172800  IN      NS      NS.ipv6shells.com.
ipv6shells.com.         172800  IN      NS      BACKUP-DNS.DK.

but  in your zonefile you say :
ipv6shells.com.         38400   IN      NS      backup-dns.dk.
ipv6shells.com.         38400   IN      NS      ns1.ipv6shells.com.

--
Peter Håkanson