File channels question

Joe Kattner joe at zosan.com
Thu Jan 30 17:16:13 UTC 2003

Ronald,

You use both options:

file "/var/adm/named.run" versions 4 size 5M;

That will rotate through named.run.0 to named.run.3 when named.run
reaches the specified limit of 5MB.

--Joe

Bind Users,

Am I interpreting the DNS and Bind correctly here ....

        "If you specify that there can be three versions, Bind 8 will keep around
file, file.0, file.1, and file.2. After the name server starts  or after it
is restarted by a HUP signal, it will move file.1 to file.2, file.0 to
file.1, file to file.0, and start a new copy of file.

        Furthermore,

        "If you specify a maximum file size, Bind 8 will stop writing to the file
after it reaches the specified file size. Unlike the versions   clause, the
file will not be rolled over    and a new file opened when the specified size
is reached. The name server just stops writing to       the file. If you do not
specify a file size, the file will grow indefinitely."

I read the previous points in such a way...  it's an either or situation. If
this is still true, my question is, why not have 5 versions of a file (like
a log rotation scheme)  AND limit the size of each rotated file before you
send it down the line. The implementation I am trying to create is a channel
of all categories to

named.run
named.run.0
named.run.1
named.run.2
named.run.3

and limit the size of each named.run* file then discard the data after
named.run.3

Thanks for all of your help.

Ron Dutton
VitalQIP Support Engineer