is it ok to have own IP address in also-notify list?

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Thu Jan 30 19:09:29 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 06:50:01PM +0000, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
> peejay <pj820 at mail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am writing a script to automagically add also-notify entries if I
> > add another slave to a group, and I was wondering if a master can have
> > its own IP address in the group.
>
> > Will it crash? Will it log an error? Or will it ignore NOTIFY messages
> > from itself? or will it get into an infinite loop?
>
> It will ignore the "extra" notifies.

I thought that BIND never sends itself NOTIFY messages, the same way it
never sends NOTIFY messages to the server listed in the SOA MNAME field.

Either way, it's nothing to worry about.
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"C(++) is a write-only, high-level assembler language." - Stefan Van Baelen.