Subdomain on parent server?

Jim who at where.com
Tue Jul 22 01:15:49 UTC 2003

I am migrating from Win2K dns to BIND 9.2.2. I need to offer DDNS to our
largely Windoze network, but I also want to protect the static entries for
our Unix development group. They sometimes get overwritten by the Win2K
clients when a duplicate name is chosen.

My first thought is to create a subdomain (ie dev.domain.com), place it in a
separate zone file and not allow dynamic updates (no allow-update
statement). Can I place this subdomain (in a different zone) on the parent
server (and run a slave for both zones)? Is this recommended? Or should I
make the slave server to the 'domain.com' zone, the master for the
'dev.domain.com' zone?

Thanks for any input.

Jim.