DNS anomaly

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Wed Jul 23 18:49:22 UTC 2003

In article <bfmgmv$2ekp$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Roger Keays  <r.keays at ninthave.net> wrote:
>Hi all,
>Could really do with some help here!
>
>There seems to be a problem with the Telstra DNS servers which are not
>renewing some domains:
>
>A Telstra DNS server:
>$ dig ninthave.net @61.9.208.24
>    <no response>
>
>The authoritative server is fine:
>$ dig ninthave.net @194.153.169.15
>    <correct response>
>
>Telstra's DNS /is/ working:
>$ dig hotmail.com @61.9.208.24
>    <correct response>
>
>It is like there is no route from 61.8.208.24 to 194.153.169.15

I think 61.9.208.24 may have more general routing problems.  I can't get a
response from it for either query.  And when I traceroute to it, I
encounter a routing loop between a pair of 192.168 addresses.

Are you sure that's one of Telstra's DNS servers?  It translates to
CPE-61-9-208-24.qld.bigpond.net.au, which doesn't look like a DNS server's
name (CPE usually stands for Customer Premises Equipment, so I suspect it's
a router at the customer end of a connection).

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA