Subdomain Problems...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 23 22:35:17 UTC 2003

"Clifford W. Hansen" wrote:

> Greetingz...
>
> Firstly:
>   Our public DNS server at our ISP holds all our Public DNS entries.
>   Our local DNS server in the office holds all our lan machine names.
>
> Both are using the same domain name.  How do we forward any requests to the
> ISP DNS if they don't exist in our local DNS?

You don't. There is no such thing as "failover forwarding" in BIND. If you
don't have the option to separate the internal and external entries into one
or more subdomains, which could be delegated, then you need to maintain the
external entries in both versions of the zone. If you run both your internal
and external DNS on the same machine, there are some techniques you can employ
to make this dual-maintenance a little easier. Note that even if your box is
master for the external version of the zone, you could still have your ISP's
nameservers be the published nameservers for the zone, and therefore the only
ones that other Internet nameservers would know about and query. This would be
a so-called "hidden master" architecture wherein the ISP nameservers would
just be slaves to your box.