FQDN

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Sun Jul 27 20:01:23 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 05:46:03PM -0500, John Hascall wrote:

>   But it is easier to remember and use:  www.house.gov
>   than it is to use: 143.231.86.196
>
>   However if the name was some nonsense like:
>
>     www.citizens-democratic.web-interface.house-of-representatives.government.district-of-columbia.federal.united-states-of-america.intarweb
>
>   you might find people prefering to remember the number. :)

Which is one of the reasons that most attempts to turn the DNS into a
lookup service like the (US) Yellow Pages have failed. It's a hard
problem. I'd *love* it if there was a simple heuristic for determining
the URL for the web site for Alice's Restaurant of La Honda, California
(as opposed to any *other* Alice's Restaurant), but there isn't. The DNS
doesn't encapsulate that information well.

-Pete