Dynamic DNS and NAT

Herb Martin news at LearnQuick.com
Sun Jul 27 00:14:38 UTC 2003

> I am setting up an ISP network using private addresses and NAT at the
> public gateway firewall.  Dynamic DNS is desired for host reachability
> across the network.  Does Dynamic DNS work for private subscriber
> addresses when there are thousands of hosts sharing a NAT (in this
> case PAT using Netscreen) interface?

I don't think it works the way you intend but perhaps
that doesn't matter.

The only address you can typically publish in public
Internet DNS is the address (or addresses) of the NAT
itself.  Remember, everything inside the NAT is technically
unreachable from the Internet.

The NAT receives all traffic for these nodes and then
translates and routes it between the address spaces.

So, Yes it works, but only for the public address(es) of the
NAT.