Default/Wildcard Query Response

Shane Kinsch shane.kinsch at netracorp.com
Wed Jul 30 14:10:05 UTC 2003

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:<bg6dqi$1j0$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> Shane Kinsch <shane.kinsch at netracorp.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone happen to know a quick and dirty way of taking any traffic
> > being requested and give the person doing the query a default IP?
>
> > For example... Let's say you were a hosting company or a domain name
> > registration firm and you are registering (or allowing people to
> > register) domain names using your DNS servers.
>
> > I would like to direct traffic of the new domain to an IP address such
> > that person X registers a domain xyz.com and uses our DNS servers for
> > resolution.  I would like to have a default statement somewhere that
> > when queried, and the domain is not locally setup, it responds to a
> > default IP address thus sending the traffic to a default "domain not
> > setup" page.
>
> > Any help is appreciated.  Please respond to the e-mail address below
> > and copy the newsgroup.
>
> You ask in news and will receive answer with news ...
>

> Try a DNS wildcard '*' :
>
> *	IN	A	<ip-of-wildcard>
>
> This may be combined with other RR and the general rule is
> that "closest fit" will match.

Where would this go?  In the root's cache?  I'm not looking for domain
specific as I don't know who is pointing to me.  I want to take any
and all generic traffic and redirect to a generic start page.

Such that you register a domain name and use my name servers.  I have
no clue what your new domain is, but I want it to be activated
immediately once you point to me.

Thanks.