Can someone explain forwarders and why I don't need them?

Newman, David dnewman at cmgi.com
Wed Jul 30 20:56:13 UTC 2003

> I always used to think that in order for a named installed to work=20
> right, it'd need a forwarder to work correctly - ie, point it to the=20
> upstream DNS.
>=20

Any DNS server is capable of resolving a name unless it is prevented
from doing so by something like a firewall.  forwarding just turns
your DNS server into a DNS client by passing the request onto another
server.  I would suggest reading something like DNS&BIND as it has a=20
good explaination of how DNS resolving works on the Internet.