simple question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Nov 1 03:00:28 UTC 2003

Kalin Mintchev wrote:

>hi all,
>
>i have named1 and named2. two different locations. for the same domain.

>a) can
>b) should
>c) can not
>d) shouldn't
>

>have the same serial numbers for the same domain in both different
>machines....
>
>please let me know which one is correct....
>basically if i can tar and put the same zone files from one machine to the
>other without changing the serial numbers - is this correct or i should
>have different serial numbers on the different machines for the same zone
>files....

If you have exactly the same zone content on both boxes, then ultimately
it doesn't matter whether the serial numbers are the same or not.
However, if one of the boxes is defined as slave to the other, then if
the serial numbers aren't the same, specifically if the slave's serial
number is less than the master's, in sequence-space arithmetic, you
might waste some bandwidth with unnecessary zone transfers. So it's
probably best to keep the serial numbers the same, initially.

Where it gets more interesting, of course, is when you start *changing*
the contents of the zones...