Problems with NS, glue, and nameserver registration

Edvard Tuinder listbind at lunytune.nl
Sat Nov 1 10:58:55 UTC 2003

According to Simon Hobson:
> I'm now starting to test my split horizon name server, however, my
> agent seems to be having problems changing the DNS at the registry to
> point directly at my servers. He submitted a change request, and
> naturally enough, it came back with the error message that the
> requested name servers aren't registered. This seems to have
> completely flummoxed them and so they have left the registry entries
> pointing at their nameservers, and put my servers in as NS records at
> their servers - which doesn't seem to work as far as I can tell.

Correct, the setup they have created now is not valid.

> This is uncharted waters for me. I had assumed that my agent should
> be able to request the registration of DNS servers on my behalf and
> then have the DNS entries changed to them.

Your agent should be able to create the nameservers with the appropriate
registry. If they don't know how, consider shopping for a different agent.

> Any pointers would be appreciated - especially to something
> describing the process for registering name servers.

There is a single line on this in the netsol user guide:
http://www.accountmanageruserguide.com/04-ManageDomainName.html#sec4.1
but that's not too useful.

I see this particular domain has actually been registered through joker
and they have quite some more info on this topic at
https://joker.com/faq/index.php?num=3&f_id=1&s_id=8

FWIW neither name1.colonygiftcorporation.com nor name2 answer to dns queries,
     so that's a problem too.

-Ed