setting up a secondary/slave dns-server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Nov 2 02:16:11 UTC 2003

At 03:32 AM 10/22/03, Michael.Oberlaender at Suedzucker.de wrote:
>Dear ladies and gentlmen,
>
>I try to set up a secondary dns server (slave) in a production environment.=
>  I am not deeply skilled about dns, I found out that there is to do more th=
>an just copying
>the files from the primary. But, I think my problem occurs earlier:
>
>Well I installed (and copied the dll - files by hand to system32 ;-) the is=
>c bind. The service is installed, but I can=B4t start it.
>System: Windows 2000 SP 4.
>Bind 9.2.1

You shouldn't be copying files to system32. The installer puts the files
in the right directory. Putting them elsewhere is asking for trouble when
you need to track down problems. There's a reason that BINDInstall
exists.

Upgrade to BIND 9.2.3. It fixes a bunch of problems but is unrelated to this
issue.

>Here is the eventlog about bind:
>
>START OF EVENTLOG ABOUT BIND:
>
>Event Type: Information
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   3
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>starting BIND 9.2.1
>
>Event Type: Information
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   3
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>using 4 CPUs
>
>Event Type: Information
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   3
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>
>Event Type: Warning
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   2
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>set maximum stack size to 0: not implemented
>
>Event Type: Warning
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   2
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>set maximum data size to 0: not implemented
>
>Event Type: Warning
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   2
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>set maximum core size to 0: not implemented
>
>Event Type: Warning
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   2
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>set maximum open files to 0: not implemented
>
>Event Type: Warning
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   2
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>not listening on any interfaces

You should worry abut this message. If it's not listening on any
interface you may as well not be running it.

>Event Type: Error
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   1
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>could not get query source dispatcher

I've never seen this one. You must have an error in your
config file.

>Event Type: Error
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   1
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX

That's also strange.

>Event Type: Error
>Event Source:     named
>Event Category:   None
>Event ID:   1
>Date:       22.10.2003
>Time:       08:51:45
>User:       N/A
>Computer:   XXXXXXXXX
>exiting (due to fatal error)
>
>END OF EVENTLOG ABOUT BIND.
>

>The named.conf is 15 kb in size, the rndc.conf and named.conf are correct i=
>n the rndc-key - secret.

That doesn't affect running named, just controlling it.

>As I mentioned earlier, we changed the settings in the named.conf from mast=
>er to slave (with masters =3D ...) for all but the "." (hint), "0.0.1.127" =
>(master) and "localhost" (master) zones.
>
>What is wrong: when I start the service there are the above error(s). There=
>  is no entry in the system32\drivers\etc\services (but there is none in the=
>  primary, also).
>I guess, there must something be wrong in the options part, but not sure. H=
>ere is the option-part of named.conf, I replaced the IP-Adress with IP_ADRE=
>SSE_PRIMARY and XXXX for some others (which are in fact commented out, so t=
>his has no impact):

Why?

>options {
>       version "DNS Server";
>
>         directory "D:\bind\etc";
>         pid-file "D:\bind\var\named.pid";
>
>         statistics-file "D:\bind\var\named.stats";
>#       memstatistics-file "D:\bind\var\named.memstats";
>         dump-file "D:\bind\var\named.dump";
>
>#     datasize 64M;
>#     stacksize 64M;
>
>         zone-statistics yes;
>#     statistics-interval 1440;
>
>         auth-nxdomain yes;
>#       check-names response warn;                    /* default: check-nam=
>es master warn; */
>
>         listen-on port 53 { IP_ADRESSE_PRIMARY; };

Is this address the address of the machine on which it is running? Why
do you want to limit this to one address?  Also don't you want to include
127.0.0.1 in this list?

>         query-source address IP_ADRESSE_PRIMARY port 53000;

Why do you want to set a particular port value? Also is the address (which
you so cleverly hid, valid and on the machine that's running named?

>         notify no;
>
>         transfer-format many-answers;
>
>         max-transfer-time-in 60;
>
>         interface-interval 0;
>
>         recursion yes;
>
>#     forwarders {  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX };
>#     forward only;
>
>         allow-transfer {
>                 xfer_clients_intern;
>         };
>
>         allow-query {
>                query_clients_intern;
>         };
>
>       allow-recursion {
>                query_clients_intern;
>         };
>};
>
>If you might help me I would be very happy ! Please send a copy of your pos=
>ting to me directly: michael.oberlaender at suedzucker.de
>If there are some other hints which problems I could spare next after fixin=
>g this issue to get the secondary on the run, please let me know.

The first rule of debugging problems like this is to get rid of just about
every option
in the named.conf file. Unless you understand what they are trying to do,
they do you more harm than good.

Danny