Reverse DNS issues

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Nov 4 14:18:03 UTC 2003

donjjones at hotmail.com (Don Jones) wrote:

>We have a class of IP addresses from our ISP which we currently run
>DNS for and also would like to run reverse DNS.  In speaking with our
>ISP, they have configured our subnet so we can run reverse DNS on our
>own servers.  We have DNS configured with reverse zones configured as
>well on our servers.  The problem we are having is that the only way
>we can run a successful reverse lookup on our hosts when the ISPs DNS
>servers have our information cached.  What I mean exactly if I were to
>run a reverse lookup from an outside server, it always fails.  If I
>then run a reverse lookup directly using our ISP's DNS server, it
>works and then subsequently works for all outside DNS servers for a
>couple of days.  Any idea what I can be missing here?  We are running
>Windows 2000 DNS and our ISP is running Windows 2000 DNS as well.

I will not give the standard answer, "This is a BIND newsgroup."
Your ISP is most likely using RFC 2317 delegation, if the subnet
assigned to you is less than a /24.  I was unaware that W2k DNS
supported that RFC, but I have never had a need to pursue the matter.

I will give a standard answer now.  "If you told us the domain, the
subnet, and its size, we would have a better chance of assisting
you.  'All the batteries in our crystal balls have expired.'"