Problem with bind and multiple interfaces.

aabouk01 at fiu.edu aabouk01 at fiu.edu
Thu Nov 6 19:51:51 UTC 2003

> From: Barry Margolin <barry.margolin at level3.com>
> Date: 2003/11/06 Thu PM 02:37:23 EST
> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> Subject: Re: Problem with bind and multiple interfaces.
>
> In article <boe7iu$2euk$1 at sf1.isc.org>,  <aabouk01 at fiu.edu> wrote:
> >Hi, I'm running aix 4.3.3 with bind8. I have two interfaces on the
> >machine, en0 and en1. I can use dig and nslookup to lookup names and
> >address on en1. But when i try to do the same on en0, i don't get a
> >response from bind.
> >
> >I can telnet to port 53 on en0, so it is listening. Both interfaces are
> >on different subnets.
> >
> >Also, I have many ip's setup as aliases on en1 and I can use any one and
> >i get a successful response.
>
> Maybe there's a firewall or filtering router blocking UDP from en0's
> address.  Can you use dig with the +vc option to query en0?  That uses TCP,
> like telnet.

Well, i tried using +vc but no change. I just noticed that i can lookup one zone that i have defined using en0. Something must be incorrect somewhere but i can not figure it out.

The ip of en0 is 68.216.33.2 and the zone which works is fbsims.com. Other zones i have defined do not work when using en0.