bind & etc/hosts

Dirk Sachse sachse at sunflowers.de
Mon Nov 10 15:28:27 UTC 2003

Hi,

I want foo.bar.com to be resolved to 192.168.1.1 for all my clients in my
network. The DNS server for the domain bar.com has no entry for "foo" and I
want to add my own.

How do I do that?

I tried to set up a master zone for bar.com, this works so far for "foo" but
there are many other machines I need to resolve and it would make no sense
to enter them all because I just need one.

I tried to add foo.bar.com to /etc/hosts, but it just works on my DNS server
and not for the whole network. Is there a way to tell bind to look into the
local /etc/hosts file before?

Regards,

Dirk

--