Need advice on DNS

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Nov 10 19:15:18 UTC 2003

In article <boonm9$vg0$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Darren Poh <darpohsh at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barry.margolin at level3.com> wrote in message
>news:<bogrpr$23c7$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
>> In article <bogpno$217m$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>> Darren Poh <darpohsh at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I have registered for a domain. Let take it to be 'mydomain.com'. The
>
>Hi Barry,
>
>Thanks for your reply.
>

>> Please tell us the real domain.  Your description of what you've done is
>> not complete, and we can't tell exactly what's going wrong without seeing
>> the true registration.
>>

>The domain name is ipasar.com
>
>> >registrar do not help me to host my new domain. I use the DNS service
>> >by DNS-Made-Easy whereby I indicated 2 'A' records.
>> >
>> >mydomain.com. with the address 111.222.333.444
>> >ns0 with the same address
>>
>> What nameservers did you list when you registered the domain?  Just
>> DNS-Made-Easy's servers, or their servers and your dedicated server?
>
>I have listed
>
>ns1.dnsmadeeasy.com
>ns0.dnsmadeeasy.com
>ns2.dnsmadeeasy.com
>ns4.dnsmadeeasy.com
>ns3.dnsmadeeasy.com

I just looked at the registration, and you also listed ns0.ipasar.com.

>> Are DNS-Made-Easy's servers configured as master or slave for your domain?
>> If they're slaves, you need to allow their addresses in your
>> "allow-transfer" statements.
>
>I setup primary DNS on DNS-Made-Easy. In this case, is there a need to
>make any changes to my DNS configuration file?

It's not usually a good idea to have two different master servers; it's
usually best to have one master server and all the other servers configured
as slaves, so that they'll stay in sync automatically.  Otherwise, you have
to manually update both servers whenever you make a change.

What you have now is inconsistent data between the dnsmadeeasy.com servers
and your own server.  For instance, your server has an MX record for the
domain, but the DNS-Made-Easy servers don't.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA