BIND and Cisco Local Director: problem with VIPs

Sara demone33 at yahoo.it
Wed Nov 12 15:19:27 UTC 2003

This is my situation (IPs and hostnames dummy for privacy reasons):

Using BIND 9.1.2 on Linux RedHat 7.3:
Master name server:  pr_dns.mydomain.com  20.1.1.10
Slaves:              sl_dns1.mydomain.com 20.1.1.11
                     sl_dns2.mydomain.com 20.1.1.12

I have Cisco Local Director configured in this way:

VIPs: dns1.mydomain.com 20.1.1.101  ---> balanced to 20.1.1.11 and
20.1.1.12
      dns2.mydomain.com 20.1.1.102  ---> balanced to 20.1.1.11 and
20.1.1.12

The zone for mydomain.com (on master) starts like this:

; Zone file for mydomain.com
;
; The full zone file
;
$TTL    2D
@       IN      SOA     dns1.mydomain.com. root.dns1.mydomain.com.  (
                        2003032803 ; Serial yyyymmddnn
                        6H       ; refresh
                        2H       ; retry
                        4W       ; expire
                        1D )     ; minimum cache TTL
;
; Names servers for mydomain.com domain
;

        IN      NS      dns1.mydomain.gr.
        IN      NS      dns2.mydomain.gr.
        IN      MX  10  smtp.mydomain.gr.
;
; Hosts for the public mydomain.com domain
;
localhost       A       127.0.0.1
dns1            A       20.1.1.101
dns2            A       20.1.1.102
pr_dns          A       20.1.1.10
sl_dns1         A       20.1.1.11
sl_dns2         A       20.1.1.12

At the registration authority dns1.mydomain.com and dns2.mydomain.com
are registered as authoritative.

Problem: when I add a host to mydomain.com and increase the serial #,
BIND tries to contact the NS record hosts! Therefore it may happens
that the Local Director forwards all the packets to the same real
hosts, thus preventing one slave from being updated!!!
How can I solve this issue?
Thank you.