a little DNS help

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Fri Nov 14 19:16:43 UTC 2003

[clip...]

> I know that there are technical problems with this setup. And although
>  this has always worked I want to make it right this next time around.
>
> 1. What are the steps to creating a new DNS host?
>
> 2. Does it matter what I name the computer?
>
> 3. When I create the DNS host with a particular IP does the primary IP
> in the computer's NIC adapter need to be the one I register or can it
> be one of the IPs in the NICs Advanced section?
>
> 4. If the DNS host is going to be named: dns.newdnshost.com what is
> the zone file configuration or is there one?
>
> 5. Can I name the DNS host the same domain name as I use on the server
> as a Web site or is that  bad idea?
I think the best course of action would be:

Obtain and read a copy of "DNS and BIND, 4th Edition, Paul Albitz & Criket
Liu".  Keep this book on your shelf and consult it often.  It is your
friend.

Also, you may want to get a copy of the DNS and BIND Cookbook, Cricket
Liu, et al.

Dave...