a little DNS help

John Cesta support at serverautomationtools.com
Mon Nov 17 14:10:10 UTC 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:43:13 -0600, Len Conrad <LConrad at Go2France.com>
wrote:

>>I know that there are technical problems with this setup.
>
>which are?

>>  And although
>>  this has always worked I want to make it right this next time around.
>>
>>1. What are the steps to creating a new DNS host?
>
>what's a DNS host?  everything in DNS is a domain name.  do you want to
>create a sub-domain (node) under an existing domain.tld, eg,
>label.domain.tld, or a new domain.tld?

At Internic they used to allow you to create a DNS host. Simply a dns
server. I entered in the name: dns.lookwww.com and the IP number of
the server's NIC..

On my current DNS I just used the IP in my NIC adapter and a domain
name www.lookwww.com Then I created an alias in the lookwww.com zone
record named "dns"  I was told once that using a cname for DNS was not
proper according to RFC.

Maybe this is the proper way to do it.

>>2. Does it matter what I name the computer?
>
>MS warns if the MS Networking machine name differs from tcp/ip host label.
>Heeding the warning is good practice.
>
>>3. When I create the DNS host with a particular IP does the primary IP
>>in the computer's NIC adapter need to be the one I register or can it
>>be one of the IPs in the NICs Advanced section?
>
>DNS only knows about IP addresses, not canonical IP or IP aliases.  So the
>question is really for the MS Networking.
>
>MS's "register" term in DNS context is equivalent the BIND query op code
>"update".  Are you going to be running dynamic zones?
>
>>4. If the DNS host is going to be named: dns.newdnshost.com what is
>>the zone file configuration or is there one?
>
>Your choice, BIND doesn't care what the zone file name is.  MS GUI uses
>domain.dns while I follow the convention in the DNS & BIND book, db.domain
>on the master, and, my own style, dbak.domain on the slave.
>
>>5. Can I name the DNS host the same domain name as I use on the server
>>as a Web site or is that  bad idea?
>
>give an example.

Well, for example, if I want to call my DNS:  dns.primarydns.com do I
need to register the name primarydns.com at Internic?  What then is
the relationship with my DNS server and the name: primarydns.com

Is there  a zone file called: primarydns.com ? and a cname in it to
reflect the dns portion?

Like I said I've had this current dns: dns.lookwww.com running for
aobut 4 years. I understand a little about how it works but I just
think that maybe I could make some changes to it to make it more
compliant.

Thanks,

John