no IPv6 interfaces found

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 18 01:30:23 UTC 2003

Arthur Dent wrote:

>When I run rndc reload/reconfig I get the following line in my syslog:
>
>Nov 12 22:55:01 catfoo named[7067]: loading configuration from
>'/etc/named.conf'
>Nov 12 22:55:01 catfoo named[7067]: no IPv6 interfaces found
>
>Since I am not running IPv6 is there any way I can tell bind to stop
>checking?  I didn't see anything in the named.conf that seemed related.

This message is at the "informational" level, so the easiest thing to do
is desensitize your syslogging a little.

If you truly want to *get*rid* of the message, then either a) define an
IPv6 interface (e.g. ::1/128) to humor named, or b) take a look at the
WANT_IPV6 #define in "config.h" at the root of your BIND distribution --
you may be able to recompile an IPv6-ignorant binary by changing the
value of that #define to 0, followed by a "make clean; make; make
install" (although I haven't attempted this myself, so proceed at your
own risk).