BIND 9.2.1 - Unexpected cache behavior

Todd Herr todd at angrysunguy.com
Wed Nov 19 23:21:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, at 09:32, Ladislav Vobr wrote:

> ...just some hints
>
> did you try using dig and checking the TTL value for the cached records,
> it should be decreasing, on the caching server every second, and if it
> is fetched again, it will come with new ttl.

Yes, it is decreasing every second, but it starts at 86400 and
doesn't get anywhere close to zero before it's fetched again and
the TTL resets to 86400.

> also the traffic distribution, it depends on your clients what is the
> primary dns server in their settings, is it balanced amongst them
> equally?

We're not attempting load balancing, per se; the wide fluctuation
in load based on server location is to be expected due to the
locations of their deployment.  I mention the load only because I
have only observed the problematic behavior on the more heavily
loaded servers.

Thanks.

Todd Herr                                    todd at angrysunguy.com