BIND 8 Problems

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Nov 20 02:09:31 UTC 2003

> I have been experiencing problems with my DNS server after a recent
> reinstall.
>
> I am unable to get the dns server to resolve any local domains or even
> recognize the domain at all. However the server works perfectly when
> resolving remote (ie Internet) domains. For example, (the local domain
> is jameshastie.com and the server is called jason) if i type ping
> jason.jameshastie.com - no good  ------------- ping google.com -
> responds

	Is resolv.conf pointing at your local server(s)?  jameshastie.com
	does NOT exist on the Internet.

> The db.jameshastie file and the named.conf file are here:
>
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/j_hastie/named.conf     -- named.conf
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/j_hastie/db.jameshastie  --db.jameshastie

	Nameserver MUST NOT referece CNAMES.  This won't affect local
	lookups but will affect caches that learn about the CNAME.

	@	        NS      ns
	ns              CNAME   jason
	jason		A       192.168.0.1

	@	        NS      ns