Forwarding goes amiss?

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Tue Nov 25 03:40:25 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
To: <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: Forwarding goes amiss?

> Mark wrote:
>
> >Using BIND 8.4.1-REL, I'd like to add RBL style zone, like so:
> >
> >zone "dynablock.my-domain.info" {
> >        type forward;
> >        forward first;
> >        forwarders {
> >                127.0.0.4;
> >        };
> >};
> >
> >At 127.0.0.4, rbldnsd is listening (on a ifconfig alias of lo0), and
> >*working, as a dig @127.0.0.4 gives the proper responses.
> >
> >So, "dig @127.0.0.4 177.64.161.195.dynablock.my-domain.info" gives me the
> >right result:
> >
> >;; ANSWER SECTION:
> >177.64.161.195.dynablock.my-domain.info.  35M IN A  127.0.0.2
> >
> >But "dig 177.64.161.195.dynablock.my-domain.info" does NOT:
> >
> 1. Is the first "nameserver" entry in your /etc/resolv.conf pointed at
> one of the addresses on which your local nameserver is listening?
> 2. Is dynablock.my-domain.info delegated? I suspect it is not. I seem to
> recall that BIND 8 will only forward for a *delegated* subdomain, if the
> nameserver is authoritative for anything above it in the hierarchy...

Thank you for your answer. I just now found a solution.

Next to zone "dynablock.my-domain.info" I also had a zone called zone
"my-domain.info" defined. It is was in named.conf for a very long time
already, as I registered the .info domain a few years back (but has not been
in use). Having the zone "my-domain.info" caused BIND to consult that zone
first for queries to "dyanablock". Once I removed zone "my-domain.info",
everything worked like a charm for zone "dynablock.my-domain.info". :)

Your answer seems to suggest, though, that I could have BIND serve zone
"my-domain.info" itself, and still have zone "dynablock.my-domain.info"
delegated. Is that correct? Although things work now, eventually I'd like to
have zone "my-domain.info" back too.

Thanks,

- Mark