[Newbie] Making a caching-only bind9 manage a local zone?!

Thore Schmechtig WRITETOcommoner at carcosa.de
Tue Nov 25 17:41:55 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I have a small home network with 3 clients and one linux server (SuSE
8.1 pro, IP Masquerading + caching-only bind9) that connects the
clients to the net. I use a dialup DSL connection, named.conf is
dynamically modified by smpppd. I have been running bind9 with the
preconfigured caching-only config without problems for several months
now.
Now I want to add zone files for my own zone, but bind just won't find
the data in there. I have checked out the DNS howto in tldp.org, I
cannot find any mistake, but it won't work. To me, newbie who I am, it
looks like bind simply ignores that there are additional zone files in
its .conf-file now.

So, question: How to set the options in named.conf for this to work (i.
e. add my own dns zone to the preconfigured localhost zone)?

(I am aware that this will probably sound like a silly question to you
experts out there, but I have just tried for an entire hour to make it
work, I have triple-checked the syntax of my zone files and .conf-files
against the tldp.org faq, and I'll be damned if I find any error there
- yep I'm desperate :( )

--
Bye

Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
Include HI-AK 523 in the subject or your email will be deleted!