Dynamic DNS configuration

Rob Mortimer r_mortimer at postmaster.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 13:51:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:11:13 +0000, Simon Hobson
<shobson0309 at colony.com> wrote:

>Rob Mortimer wrote:
>
>>I am configuring DNS/DHCP on a Mandrake 9.2 machine
>>Unfortunately I can not get it to work
>>
>>Can anyone see a problem in my named.conf or dhcpd.conf
>>(both run on the same machine there is a firewall between the machine
>>and the internet)
>>
>>DHCP allocates addresses OK
>>BIND does not update
>>
>>Bind is 9.2.3
>>DHCP is ISC dhcpd 3.0
>
>1) What is logged in syslog. You should see some messages from dhcpd
>about clients requesting etc, together with a message about
>performing an update - with some sort of error if it fails. At the
>same time you may or may not see a message from named giving some
>clue about why the update failed.

SYSLOG just gives the DESCOVER , OFFER, REQUEST and ACK all
transactions include the name of the requesting machine along with the
IP address offerd and the MAC address of the remote  NIC and the card
the request was recieved by (where appropreate  of course IP address
is missing from DISCOVER)

>2) Which version of ISC DHCPD are you running - there are many
>versions out there that could be called 3.0, but the recommended
>version 3.0.1rc12 (Release Candidate 12 for version 3.0.1).

The RPM package suggests 3.0.1rc12