DNS is drivimg me crazy ! (need another set of eyes)

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Wed Nov 26 19:01:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:37:19AM +0000, andy dingfelder wrote:

> Ok, I made the jump and formatted my win2k box and installed redhat 9.
> Now im having a bear of a time getting my DNS set up.  I have perused a
> gazillion how-to guides and am obviously missing something :(  Im hoping
> some kind soul can help to keep me from going back to the dark side :P
>
> Basially, I would love another set of eyes to look at my config to see
> what I am doing wrong.

You're going to have to tell us what it is that makes you think
something is wrong. You haven't asked a question and you haven't
described a problem. What is it that used to work but now doesn't?

> Finally, I believe DNS is up and running because I can telnet to
> localhost 53 and when I grep for "named", I get:

Most dns transactions happen over udp, not tcp. It's good that you can
make a tcp connection to your name server, but unless you can send it a
query and get a response, you've not debugged much.

> For these examples:
> 1.  I am changing my domain to "mydomain"

Don't do that. The DNS is inherently a public system. You don't protect
anything by obscuring data, and you *do* make it impossible for people
to actively debug your setup. Repost, with a description of *what* you
think is wrong, *why* you think something is wrong, and your complete,
*unedited* configuration files.

-Pete