DNS is killing me ! (need another set of eyes)

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Nov 26 20:13:58 UTC 2003

andy dingfelder <dingfelder at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ok, I made the jump and formatted my win2k box and installed redhat 9.
> Now im having a bear of a time getting my DNS set up.  I have perused a
> gazillion how-to guides and am obviously missing something :(  Im hoping
> some kind soul can help to keep me from going back to the dark side :P

Forget the 'gazillion how-to guides'and buy "the book" ( managing
DNS and Bind".
The 'ARM'book ( supplied togher with any complete bind-9 is
an excellent reference but you might need a primer first.

> Basially, I would love another set of eyes to look at my config to see
> what I am doing wrong.

> Background Info: I used to have my web server, application server, dns,
> sendmail and DB on my windows server and it all worked last week, so I
> know the problem is not in my router or my domain itself...

> Also, I shut my firewall completely off for this test so I know it must
> be my DNS config.  (my router is only granting access to port 80 for
> web, 53 for DNS and 22 for SSH)

> Finally, I believe DNS is up and running because I can telnet to
> localhost 53 and when I grep for "named", I get:

telnetting to named will not give useful information. Try 'dig'
instead - it knows hot to "speak to" bind.

> [root at jomamma root]# ps -ef | grep named
> named     5468     1  0 18:47 ?        00:00:01 [named]
> root      5649  5622  0 22:13 pts/1    00:00:00 grep named

> I will list my configuration below for convenience...   I will be so
> happy if anyone can point out ways to perfect my setup.

> Thanks !

You left out the importent stuff :

your domain
your ip