DNS update question

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Nov 26 20:17:33 UTC 2003

Tester <calinguga at netscape.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
> What happens if someone changes domain/IP address and some dns servers from
> the internet give still the old IP/domain name and some the new ip/domain
> name? How long does it take to propagate? I guess if I try accessing by new
> IP address it will route OK over the internet(instead of using the name).
> How could I refresh my dns server cache fom the "updated" root servers? It
> is not my domain/IP, it is one of our partners'.
> Thanks a lot, Calin

The domain is "delegated" in the top-level, that delegation
( consisting of NS records ) has TTL associated. When
that TTL has expired in the cache fresh values will be
retreived from the top-level servers.

TTL values here is typically a day or two.

Same goes for all values inside a zone, they have a TTL and
will be cached for 'TTL' seconds.

--
Peter Håkanson