a beginner's questions on failover using DNS

Rosie lee rosie_lian at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 12:51:56 UTC 2003

Pete Ehlke <pde at ehlke.net> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 05:15:46PM +0000, Rosie lee wrote:

than 80 columns.>

> I've just started investigating in this field and tried to find
> solutions for failover/load balacing using DNS (I also looked up some
> router solutions like those from Cisco which are far too expensive for
> SMEs).
>
> I checked the archives and found something related but quite a while
> ago. Hope somebody give me any most recent information.

The DNS is not meant to assist in circuit failover or load balancing.
Attempts to force it in to this role are virtually always failures. What
you want to accomplish *can* be done with freely available software and
without expensive hardware,

Could you tell me what kind of software availalbe for this purpose and without expensive hardware?  Thanks a lot for help.

but your DNS server is the wrong tool for
the job.

You mention two connections into the same company. Talk to your upstream
providers about how to use BGP to accomplish what you want.

-Pete