bind 9 slave updating

David Hill david at wmol.com
Fri Oct 24 17:19:34 UTC 2003

Hello -
We setup a new nameserver running BIND 9.2.2.  The other nameservers
including the master run 8.x.

To add domains to each of the nameservers we run a script that puts it in
named.conf on the master, adds it to a named.conf.export on the master which
scp's the file over the other nameservers, then restarts the master.
The serial number does not change.

The 8.x slave servers change just fine (i guess cause the master tells them
a domain has changed.  However, the bind 9.2.2 slave does not update.  If
I -HUP the 9.2.2 slave, it properly loads the new config just fine.

I am thinking upgrading all the nameservers to 9.2.3 and using the rndc
command to reload each namservers config would be the best thing, but what
can I do as of right now to get 9.2.2 to properly reload?

- David