DNS Naming Convention

s activeco at home.nl
Tue Oct 28 11:28:20 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
To: <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: DNS Naming Convention

>What about 'em? You're free to populate your hints file with any old
>junk you want to. For that matter, you're free to define your server
>with its own root zone and have it, and whatever clients depend on it,
>live in a little microcosm of your own making. The current set of root
>servers and/or TLD servers are used because, as a consensual matter,
>they work well the vast majority of the time, and people trust them.

No, they (root servers) are are used just because people have no idea what
DNS or a root server is.
They practically have no choice as they are used to blindly follow the
majority and their shepherds.
There is no reason not to put additional address(es) into DNS field which
enables access to more "little
microcosm's" without losing anything.

E.g:
http://www.adns.net/about_alternative_domains.html
http://www.open-rsc.org/
http://www.youcann.org/index.html etc,etc.

>Are you, by any chance, one of those people who is inherently
>distrustful of any kind of consensual agreement short of a
>(governmentally/legally) binding and (governmentally/legally)
>enforceable contract? Your questions about "ownership" and "control"
>lead me to believe you might be that kind of person.

I bet you would have another set of wording if all `official` root servers
were controlled by governments of Romania, China, Guatemala or Iran. I
understand the history of Internet but, on the other hand having Alpha
server as the only reliable resolver (of the most popular tld's) in the
world is unreasonable by all means.
This not a critics of the USA but critics of all major idiots beyond the US.

>If so, then perhaps
>you ought to find a different line of work, because there's a lot more
>informality in the network technology realm than most attorneys and/or
>beancounters realize. See also (a little dated, admittedly):

Are you, by any chance, one of those people who is inherently alergic on
words like: freedom, real democracy, respect, love...
If so, then you´re on the good path, politically correct with guaranteed
cereer. Congratulations.

>http://www.w3.org/Talks/1999/0105-Regulation/all.htm
>                                    - Kevin

My alternative root server (199.5.157.128) can´t resolve this address.
You were right.