DNS Naming Convention

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Oct 28 23:12:09 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:05:46PM +0100, s wrote:
> I basically agree on system hierarchy. However, either for someone's free
> will or for bad case scenario a non-single-entity-controlled backup(s) is a
> must.
> I also support a view that some sort of MoU must be reached regarding tld
> collisions, but surely not as a result of one or two-sided decree.

Someone must decide.

Top-level domains are decided on after lots of loud discussion at IANA
meetings, where lots of people advocate lots of different things.  The
US DoC has no say in those meetings.  Afterwards, so far, IANA members
have mostly spoken with one voice, as gentlefolk should, so there may
have been this illusion of a one-sided decree.  (And some commercial
registrars, who had hoped to make lots more money, have loudly and
piteously decried this autocratic situation, where they can't suck more
blood and money from the rest of us.  They do manage to fool some
people.  But I digress.)

Now, let's see ...

Were you in fact unaware that there is not one root server, but there
are thirteen different IP addresses, most of which represent multiple
physical machines at multiple locations, and which are owned and cared
for by multiple different organizations?  This is most certainly a
"non-single-entity-controlled backup"!!!

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B