Steps on how typing a web address finds its way to the web server, via DNS

Dominick DiMantova dominick at cyberspace.org
Wed Oct 29 21:27:00 UTC 2003

Hello Gurus:

I want to know the step-by-step procedure of how a request to a web
site gets to the server from the client. Specifically, how does this
work? For example, when I type 'abc.xyz.com' in the address bar, what
are the steps to its destination? I know there are .com, .org, .gov,
.net, etc. root servers. So, when I hit enter, first, is the address
looked at from .com, first, then .xyz.com, then finally abc.xyz.com?
I'd appreciate a clear explanation from a DNS expert. Thank you.