A little help please Thanks

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Oct 31 14:44:21 UTC 2003

news at news.astraweb.com wrote, in part:

>now yes I know they do not match but the nameserver @ edschooler.com
>is not working. so right now all is being served by sdoak.com with no
>help from edschooler.com. this was all setup after the original was
>posted in this group. I can't figure out why edschooler.com is not
>working. this was my original help question, why is edschooler.com not
>working? (nameserver) What am I missing on edschooler.com to make the
>name server work?
>
>Thanks
> Ed Schooler

When you load the zone on your master server, are there any error
messages from BIND?  I do not remember your having posted that
information.  Here is the output of doc-2.1.4 on your zone:

     britaine% doc -x -v EDSCHOOLER.COM
     Doc-2.1.4: doc -x -v EDSCHOOLER.COM
     Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of edschooler.com.   parent is com.
     Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Fri Oct 31 08:35:58 CST 2003
     soa @a.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103100
     soa @b.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103100
     soa @c.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103100
     soa @d.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103100
     soa @e.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103100
     soa @f.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103001
     soa @g.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103100
     soa @h.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103001
     soa @i.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103001
     soa @j.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103100
     soa @k.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103001
     soa @l.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103001
     soa @m.gtld-servers.net. for com. has serial: 2003103001
     WARNING: Found 2 unique SOA serial #'s for com.
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @a.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @b.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @c.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @d.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @e.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @f.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @g.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @h.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @i.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @j.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @k.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @l.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for edschooler.com. @m.gtld-servers.net. (non-AUTH)
     DNServers for com.
        === 0 were also authoritatve for edschooler.com.
        === 13 were non-authoritative for edschooler.com.
     Servers for com. (not also authoritative for edschooler.com.)
        === agree on NS records for edschooler.com.
     NS list summary for edschooler.com. from parent (com.) servers
       == ns1.edschooler.com. ns1.sdoak.com.
     soa @ns1.edschooler.com. for edschooler.com. serial: 2003103001
     soa @ns1.sdoak.com. for edschooler.com. serial: 2003103001
     SOA serial #'s agree for edschooler.com.
     ERROR: Found 2 unique sets of NS records
        === from authoritative domain (edschooler.com.) servers
     ERROR: NS list from edschooler.com. authoritative servers does not
       === match NS list from parent (com.) servers
     NS list summary for edschooler.com. from authoritative servers
       == edschooler.com. sdoak.com.
     ERROR: ns1.edschooler.com. claims to be authoritative, but does not appear in
     NS list from authoritative servers
     ERROR: ns1.sdoak.com. claims to be authoritative, but does not appear in
     NS list from authoritative servers
     Checking 1 potential addresses for hosts at edschooler.com.
       == 209.210.153.177
     in-addr PTR record found for 209.210.153.177
        WARNINGS issued for edschooler.com. (count: 1)
     Done testing edschooler.com.  Fri Oct 31 08:36:06 CST 2003

     britaine%

I do not know if these errors are part of your problem or an artifact
of your moving the zone to a different name server.

> on my server
>
> $TTL 2W
> @		IN SOA		ns.edschooler.com.
> root.edschooler.com.(
> 				2003102705	; serial
> 				7200		; refresh
> 				7200		; retry
> 				2419200		; expiry
> 				1W )		; minimum
> ;
>                           IN NS		ns
> 		IN MX		10 mail.edschooler.com.
> ;
> localhost             A                        127.0.0.1
>
> ns                       A                        209.210.153.177
>                           MX                      10 mail
> www                  CNAME               ns
>
> mail                    A                         209.210.153.177
>                          MX                       10 mail
>
> ftp                     A                          209.210.153.177
>                          MX                       10 mail
>

> on sdoak.com
>
> $TTL 2W
> ;
> ; Zone file for edschooler.com
> ;
> ; The full zone file
> ;
> @       IN      SOA     edschooler.com. root.edschooler.com. (
>                         2003102703     		; serial, change this
> each time you make a domain change
>                         7200           		; refresh, seconds
>                         7200            	; retry, seconds
>                         2419200		; expire, seconds
>                         1W )         		; minimum, seconds
> ;
>                 NS      sdoak.com.   ; Inet Address of name server
>                 NS      edschooler.com.   ; Inet Address of name
> server
>                 MX      10 mail.edschooler.com.   ; Primary Mail
> Exchanger
> ;
> @               A       209.210.153.177
> mail            A       209.210.153.177
> www                    CNAME   @
> ftp                        CNAME   @

In your SOA record, I cannot tell if

     @		IN SOA		ns.edschooler.com.
     root.edschooler.com.(

is on one line or two.  If two, then that is an error.  Also, I am
not sure if you need a blank before the "(".
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov