Delegating requests for www and ftp

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Thu Oct 2 18:08:58 UTC 2003

In article <blhp5a$t5n$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Marco  <hawkesm at on3etel.n5et.u9k> wrote:
>I want to name my LAN markhawkes.com, so all my computers will be
>
>* ns.markhawkes.com      (192.168.100.2)
>* neptune.markhawkes.com (192.168.100.5)
>* jupiter.markhawkes.com (192.168.100.6)
>* saturn.markhawkes.com  (192.168.100.7)
>* etc...
>
>However, when I request ftp.markhawkes.com or www.markhawkes.com
>I'd like my DNS server to somehow delegate resolution of these
>names to ns0.visn.co.uk, the nameserver that's authoritative for
>markhawkes.com out there in the big wide world. Hence my internal
>machines will be able to see the public versions of my web site
>and ftp server that everyone else can reach.

Why don't you just put the public addresses in your zone file?

>Basically I want to share authority of markhawkes.com between 2
>nameservers: my internal one, serving my LAN, and ns0.visn.co.uk,
>which serves everyone else (and my LAN when they ask for www and
>ftp).
>
>Would the following zone file do what I want? What's the neatest
>solution?

I think it should work, but it's not "clean" because ns0.visn.co.uk doesn't
have SOA records for ftp.markhawkes.com or www.markhawkes.com.

Another way to do it would be to configure forwarding zones in your server:

zone "ftp.markhawkes.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { 195.149.39.184; };
};
zone "www.markhawkes.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { 195.149.39.184; };
};

>----- zone file for markhawkes.com -----
>$ORIGIN markhawkes.com
>@   IN   SOA   ns.markhawkes.com.   foo.markhawkes.com ( blah )
>     IN   NS    ns.markhawkes.com.
>
>; delegate www and ftp requests to ns0.visn.co.uk (?)
>www.markhawkes.com.  IN  NS  ns0.visn.co.uk.
>ftp.markhawkes.com.  IN  NS  ns0.visn.co.uk.
>
>; I don't think I should declare an A record for this host
>; because I'm not responsible for it. It belongs to my ISP:
>ns0.visn.co.uk.      IN  A  195.149.39.184

BIND will ignore this record and log a warning about "out of zone" data.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA