SOA and forwarders - Help for an exam please.

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Oct 2 18:53:19 UTC 2003

David Skilton <davidnospam at fareastpizza.com> wrote:
> I'm studying for a Networking exam and in one of my text books it makes=
 the
> following statement :

> The root name server of a domain is the domain name server that acts as=
 the
> Start of Authority for that zone. Moreover it is a server that forms th=
> top-level server in your domain. As such, it contains the "." domain an=
> thus can't be a forwarder. To resolve queries outside of your domain, y=
ou
> should set up a forwarder, which will eventually have a cache full of
> information. When a DNS server cannot resolve a query, it moves, (escal=
ates)
> it up to a root server that is authoritive for a zone. The start of
> authority (SOA) record is the first record in the database.

What book comes with this ???

> I don't understand why a top level server in my domain "contososo.com" =
can't
> be a forwarder even though it is the only DNS server in my domain. It's
> probably a simple answer, but I just don't quite get it......

Your have problems. Either you memorize the above book and may
make the test or you get "The Book" ( managing DNS and bind"  and
learn the correct terminology.

A root-server is one of the "13" that serves "." no more no less,

The role of forwarders seems mixed up too ...

Again, what text book is this ?

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,