Detecting Failures

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Oct 2 19:00:24 UTC 2003

Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:
> 	In the old days, a catastrophic failure of the master dns was
> not nearly as devistating as it might be today in an Active Directory
> environment.  Microsoft has a multimastering scheme where by several
> platforms all behave as the master dns so that if one fails, nobody
> notices outside of the system administrators, maybe.

Hmm.. In the "old days" filure is the master is not noticable since
it's hidden and all slaves are rsplicas and redundant. I don't see
what AD adds except more failure modes ( like the never ending
problem of conflicting updates on multiple servers)

> 	It is pretty easy to turn a slave in to a master as long as it
> had all the zones to begin with.  That along with a second Ethernet
> interface means that one just brings it up on the master's address
> with the correct configuration file and things are able to be updated
> again.
Sounds complicated to me.

> 	This brings me to the question.  What do large operations with
> extremely high reliability factors do when they run bind?

Run bind.  And what is your question ?

> 	Active Directory is growing fast in our group and we should
> have a plan of action to quickly failover a dead master.

Seems like your problem.

> 	The hard part to me seems to be how best to automate the
> detection of a true dns failure in such a way as not to accidentally
> trigger the switchover and possibly have two working systems sharing
> the same IP address.

Again, real reliability uses professional quality software not
toys.

--
Peter Håkanson