Ipchains - Bind - Resolution Inconsistencies

Walt Howard howard at rumba.ee.ualberta.ca
Thu Oct 2 18:54:12 UTC 2003

In article <blhpoo$tpm$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
In article <blho20$s4j$1 at sf1.isc.org>, J Laub  <laubj at lakesoft.net> wrote:

>We are are experiencing an odd problem with the use of ipchains and
>bind.  When the firewall is active, several name servers are totally
>unable to resolve any names on our dns.  When the firewall is stopped
>all dns is resolved with incident.  Am I doing something wrong?  Does
>bind use any other odd ports?
>
>This should accept from external to fw:??
>
>ipchains -A input -i eth1 -s ! 10.0.0.x 1024:65535 -d 199.86.44.xxx 53
>-p udp -j ACCEPT
>
>ipchains -A output -i eth1 -s 199.86.44.xxx 53 -d ! 10.0.0.x 1024:65535
>-p udp -j ACCEPT

Your firewall is blocking tcp.  If your resource record sets are too
large to fit in a 512-byte udp response, they will be marked as truncated
and most clients will retry using tcp (which your firewall blocks).

--
Walt Howard                         /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
InterNet: whoward at ieee.org          \ /  No HTML in mail or news!