Changing the address of a primary name server

Jim Hatfield jim.hatfield at insignia.com
Fri Oct 3 17:56:35 UTC 2003

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:50:49 GMT, schulz at adi.com (Thomas Schulz) wrote:

>I hope that this is not too far off topic, but I expect that the people
>here will know the answer.  We are currently providing the primary name
>server for our domain with our internet service provider providing the
>secondary name server.  We will soon be changing to a new service
>provider and the IP address of our primary name server will have to
>be changed.  The last time I did this, the whole job could be done
>through Network Solutions.  It appears that this has changed.  Looking
>at their web based account management tool, I can see how to specify
>which name servers are to be used for a domain, but not how to specify
>the IP address that a name server lives at.  How does one modify the
>record for a registered domain name server?

I have always found it easier to use new names. For instance with
UUnet I had nsuu.isinc.insignia.com, when changing to PacBell I
first created nspb.isinc.insignia.com with the address I knew the
machine would have on the new network, then flipped the NS records
for all my domains from one to the other just before changing circuits.
Since I had a second name server at another site which stayed up
during the change there was little disruption.
--
Jim Hatfield