How to start named on startup

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Oct 4 08:18:05 UTC 2003

John Smith <johnvo at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello all:

> Running BIND 9.2.2 on Solaris 8.

> My "named" file is located in /usr/local/sbin

> How do I configure the S72inetsvc file to
> start it automatically? below is a portion
> of it and it's not working.

> Thanks.

You have at least 3 options :
1/ copy you bind OVER the sun-supplied one, making a link ndc -> rndc
This will keep your rc.d/ stuff working, but an update or patch from
sun will overwrite your bind ( keep the original bind-9.2.2 intact)
This will give you the most up-to-date machine, all traces of
sun's bind-related utilities are removed.

2/ edit rc.d/ stuff to reflect your new location of bind. This will
be damaged if updates or patched from sun overwrites your edited
rc.d/ file

3/ Add a new(local) rc.d/ script that starts your bind. This is
probably the one safest against sun patches. On the negative side
is that all the sun-supplied utilities ( dig host etc) wil still
be in your path.

Personally i'd go for (1), with  script that does all the
copying, so i can repeat the process whenever needed.

--
Peter Håkanson