delegation-only can break .name

Ketil Froyn isc_bind at ketil.froyn.name
Fri Oct 10 18:05:30 UTC 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 Jeremy_Powell at sbcss.k12.ca.us wrote:

> Isn't this what the excludes part of the root-delegation-only is meant
> for.  However, I have wondered since the introduction of
> root-delegation-only why it did not default to none with an include list
> rather than default to all with an exclude list?

Because that's what the delegation-only feature does.

Anyway, even ISC themselves haven't added the "name" zone to their exclude
list, as shown on their web page and by the example given:

  dig @204.152.184.76 smith.name mx

(which should not return NXDOMAIN) so it is unlikely that many others
using this new functionality has. As an example, anyone using the example
given on the ISC website for root-delegation-only will bounce mail to
ketil at froyn.name.

Also, anyone forwarding .name queries to ISC's DNS servers will bounce
mail to ketil at froyn.name.

Finally, anyone who has classified the .name zone as delegation-only has
probably done so because they got caught up in the tide of the times
rather than because they really needed to, for whatever reason, and it
will cause mail to ketil at froyn.name to bounce.

Ketil Froyn
ketil at froyn.name
http://ketil.froyn.name/