Newbie question (long)

Michael Garriss mgarriss at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 06:24:22 UTC 2003

Disclaimer: I've very new to BIND.  This is long because I wanted to
provide as many clues to my problem as possible.

PROBLEM:
I have registered the domain name uglymonkeys.com with domainplanet.com
and I would now like to have it setup to a dns on my home network.  I
have read some of the o'reilly dns and bind book and done a lot of
googling before this and I'm still lost.  When I try to set my dns
server on domainplanet's web site I get an the following error (which
appears to be some kind of java exception ):

com.primus.tld.nameserver.NSChangeException: completed: NO: RRP returned
unsuccessful!

CLUES:
- If I point it to a name server that I know works (like earthlinks) it
sets it just fine.  So it's I know it's a problem with how I have my
server set up.

- I have one static IP over DSL going into a firewall which uses NAT to
forward traffic to my LAN.

- Versions:
# uname -a
Linux 2.6.0-test5 #5 Fri Oct 10 18:59:19 MDT 2003 i686 AuthenticAMD
unknown GNU/Linux
# named -v
BIND 9.2.3rc4

- I have set up a "split dns" because I think that I should.  I also
think that I might be wrong.  Both run on the same box, 'inside' listens
to 192.168.1.2 and 'outside' listens to 192.168.1.227.  Here are my
named.conf files for both my 'inside' and my 'outside' server. (some
sections removed, like logging)

# named-outside.conf
options {
    directory "/etc";
    query-source address * port 53;
    listen-on { 192.168.1.227; };
};
zone "." {
    type hint;
    file "root.hints";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "inside/127.0.0";
    allow-update { none; };
};
zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
  type master;
  file "inside/192.168.1";
  notify no;
  allow-update { none; };
};
zone "uglymonkeys.com" {
    notify no;
    type master;
    file "outside/uglymonkeys.com";
};
zone "xxx.xxx.68.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "outside/68.xxx.xxx";
};

#named-inside.conf
options {
    directory "/etc";
    listen-on { 127.0.0.1; 192.168.1.2; };
    forward only;
    forwarders { 192.168.1.227; };
};
controls {
    unix "/var/run/ndc-inside" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
};
zone "." {
    type hint;
    file "root.hints";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "inside/127.0.0";
};
zone "uglymonkeys.com" {
    notify no;
    type master;
    file "inside/uglymonkeys.com";
};
zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    notify no;
    file "inside/192.168.1";
};

- namedb files:
;inside/127.0.0 --------------------------------------
$TTL 3D
@      IN      SOA     localhost. root.localhost. (
                        1       ; Serial
                        8H      ; Refresh
                        2H      ; Retry
                        4W      ; Expire
                        1D)     ; Minimum TTL
                NS      localhost.
1               PTR     localhost.

;inside/192.168.1 -----------------------------------------
$TTL 3D
@           IN      SOA     localhost. root.localhost. (
                            200310101   ; Serial
                            28800   ; Refresh
                            7200    ; Retry
                            604800  ; Expire
                            86400)  ; Minimum TTL
;
@           IN      NS localhost.

;inside/uglymonkeys.com -----------------------------------------
$TTL 3D
@           IN      SOA     uglymonkeys.com. root.uglymonkeys.com. (
                            200310101   ; Serial
                            28800   ; Refresh
                            7200    ; Retry
                            604800  ; Expire
                            86400)  ; Minimum TTL
            IN  NS     uglymonkeys.com.
;
uglymonkeys.com.           IN A 192.168.1.2
www.uglymonkeys.com.       IN CNAME uglymonkeys.com.

;outside/68.xxx.xxx ----------------------------------------------
;outside/uglymonkeys.com ------------------------------------------
$TTL 3D
@           IN      SOA     uglymonkeys.com. root.uglymonkeys.com. (
                            200310101   ; Serial
                            28800   ; Refresh
                            7200    ; Retry
                            604800  ; Expire
                            86400)  ; Minimum TTL
            IN  NS     uglymonkeys.com.
;
uglymonkeys.com.           IN A 68.xxx.xxx.xxx
www.uglymonkeys.com.       IN CNAME uglymonkeys.com.

- Some firewall rules:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j SNAT --to-source 68.xxx.xxx.xxx
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT
--to-destination 192.168.1.227
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT
--to-destination 192.168.1.227

CRY FOR HELP:
If anyone can give me any leads with my problem or point out any errors
with the above setup, it would be greatly appreciated.  Also if there is
more info that I should provide please let me know.

Regards,
Michael Garriss