mx

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Oct 13 19:03:24 UTC 2003

In article <bmesko$s9d$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Ulf Schleth  <usNOSPAM at einsnull.com> wrote:
>i had to deactivate the mx-record of the domain domain.de
>i did that an decreased the serial. now, a lot of nameservers do have

If you want slave servers to pick up the change, you have to INCREASE the
serial, not decrease it.

>that domain.
>
>wenn i do a
>
>dig @deneb.dfn.de  domain.de axfr
>
>i get the right dns set with the actual serial. but if i do a
>
>dig @deneb.dfn.de  domain.de axfr

I don't understand.  Those two commands look the same to me.

>i still get the old MX:
>
>domain.de.               1d17h54m58s IN MX  100 mail.domain.de.

That looks like a record from a caching server, not a zone transfer from an
authoritative server.

>does anyone know what my fault is? here the full file of that domain:
>
>$TTL 2D

Your TTL is 2 days, so it can take a while for the old MX record to
disappear from caches.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA