Newbie question (long)

Michael Garriss mgarriss at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 19:27:10 UTC 2003

Stolen wrote:
> Michael Garriss wrote:
>

>>Urban Loesch wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I see that there are no name server listened in whois-db of your domain:
>>>
>>>  Domain Name: UGLYMONKEYS.COM
>>>  Registrar: PRIMUS TELCO PTY LTD DBA PRIMUSDOMAIN/PLANETDOMAIN
>>>  Whois Server: whois.planetdomain.com
>>>  Referral URL: http://www.planetdomain.com
>>>  Name Server: No nameserver
>>>  Updated Date: 11-oct-2003
>>>  Creation Date: 10-oct-2003
>>>  Expiration Date: 10-oct-2004
>>>
>>>Also I can't find domain delegation on the root-servers:
>>>
>>>First before you can setting up and using your name server you have to
>>>register the dns-server on the root-zone. For registering a name server ask
>>>your current registrar. After registering I think you can setting up the
>>>name server on domainplanet's website.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Urban
>>>

>>Actually my problem stems from just this, I think.  If you mean
>>that I should go to my account on planetdomain and select modify
>>DNS then what happens is planetdomain's web site won't let me
>>register my dns server.  I get the following error:
>>
>>com.primus.tld.nameserver.NSChangeException: completed: NO: RRP
>>returned unsuccessful!
>>

> RRP is the Registry-Registrar Protocol.  You may have to ask your
> registrar what's going on here.
> Looking at planet domain's help files, I don't see anything about
> registering DNS servers.  You may have to get planet domain to create
> them, then you can add them to your domain.  Usually registrars have
> options to register a dns server based on your domain, then you'd be
> able to add them as your DNS servers via the method you describe above.

I've transfered my domain to TotalNIC which does have a register
dns host option on their page.  My ignorance on this point cost
me $9.95 and a few hours, oh well.  Once the transfer is
complete I'll post an update on the results for the sake of
future archive searchers (I hate it when I follow a thread in an
archive and there is not follow up on the solution)

Thanks Everyone,
Michael