named[145]

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Oct 13 21:40:14 UTC 2003

In article <bmf5jt$16l7$1 at sf1.isc.org>, George <spahlg at mlrnoc.navy.mil> wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this message from my daemon.log
>really means?
>
>Oct 13 16:48:30 xdns1 named[145]: gettimeofday returned bad tv_usec:
>corrected

My guess: BIND asked the system for the time, and the microseconds field of
the result was invalid (not in the range 0 - 999,999).

>More importantly, what could I have referred to in order to have found out
>for myself.

You could try looking in the BIND messages web page
<http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.htm>, but this message isn't
catalogued there.  So you have to use the Source.  Or you could do what I
did in this case: read the words in the message and figure out what they
mean.  Once you realize that tv_usec means the microseconds field of the
timeval structure, the only possible "bad" value would be something outside
the 0-999,999 range.

www.isc.org

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA