TLD Test environment setup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 13 22:10:34 UTC 2003

SeHammer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to setup 5 computers as independent DNS servers, each
>having their own '.com' domain.
>
>I need to figure out how to get the 5 DNS servers to communicate with
>each other so that from one computer I query one of the other servers
>with out having a static entry in the hosts file.
>
>I have looked all over but haven't found much documentation on how to
>set it up. Is there any tutorials or resources to setup something like
>this ? Or can anyone point me in the right direction?

If these computers are already able to resolve Internet names and these
5 .com domains are registered on the Internet, then you shouldn't need
to do anything special to enable them to resolve each others' domains.

If they are able to resolve Internet names but the domains you are using
are unregistered (not a particularly good idea), then this is going to
be a bit more of a challenge. You'll have to set up each zone that you
want to "override" the Internet DNS as a slave/stub/forward on each
other nameserver on which you want names in those domains to resolve.

Lastly, if this is an isolated network, then the simplest way is to add
these entries to your internal root zone, or at least delegate each of
those .com domains from your internal root zone (or internal .com zone,
if you have one) to the relevant server(s), so that the other servers
can find the data.